Mon – Fri: 8:30 – 4:00
Closed from 12–1pm
Ewing, NJ 08628
Situated on 40 acres off of Upper Ferry Rd., by Municipal Building. The military park is located behind the municipal building. Maj. Gen. Betor led the efforts to create the park honoring Ewing veterans, complete with a display of a Navy A4 Skyhawk that flew from the USS Saratoga aircraft carrier during the Korean War, and an M60A1 tank from the New Jersey National Guard. In May 2001, the Veterans Memorial Park was rededicated as the Major General George J. Betor Veterans Memorial Park. The park also contains Air Force, Army, Navy Merchant Marine and Coast Guard memorials, as well as a Purple Heart Walk further honoring Ewing veterans.
Betor, who lived most of his life in Ewing, served with the Marines in the Pacific in every major engagement until VJ day in 1945. He rose from private to master gunnery sergeant, and then won a commission as a second lieutenant. He later transferred to the Army and in 1948 joined the National Guard, where he rose to major general before retiring. He passed away in 2009.
The Veterans Memorial Park has military exhibits and Ewing's Purple Heart Walk. Ewing's military remembrances are held here each year. There is also a pavilion with picnic tables for outdoor dining. (Electricity is available) Restrooms are nearby inside the Municipal Building.