Lisa Litz, Secretary
p: (609)883-2900 x7677
- Review all applications and plans submitted for new construction and / or alterations in accordance with the Uniform Construction Code and its adoption of various codes related to building, electrical, elevator, fire, HVAC and plumbing.
- Inspect all residential, commercial and industrial buildings during the various phases of construction. No work shall begin until a permit – if needed – has been issued.
- Investigate all buildings and structures which have been damaged to ensure they can be safely occupied.
Local Contractor License
All commercial contractors working in the Township of Ewing are required to hold a Ewing Township Contractor’s License [renewed annually] as well as an NJ State Contractor’s License. Residential contractors need only an NJ State Home Improvement License.
|Staff Construction Official||William Erney, Jr||x7611|
|Building Sub Code Official||Sam Hedrick||x7668|
|Electrical Sub Code Official||Leo Wisniewski||x7673|
|Electrical Inspector||Lou Fest||x7673|
|Fire Sub Code Official||William Erney, Jr||x7611|
|Fire Inspector||George Wieger||x7696|
|Plumbing Sub Code Official||Jack Grove||x7672|
|Elevator Sub Code Official||Joe Castellon, EIC Inspection Agency|
Emergency Work can start immediately once our office has been notified. The property owner has 72 hours to submit the appropriate permit requests[s]. Valid emergencies include roof leaks, heater repairs / replacements and other conditions which may affect the safety of the occupant[s].
Minor Work permits are required before work begins. Minor work includes 25% or less of existing roof or siding being replaced, complete replacement of plumbing fixtures, replacement of electrical system[s] and / or panel boxes, installation of fire alarms or suppression systems and low-voltage communication systems.
Regular Work permits are required before work begins. Regular permits cover work such as construction of new buildings, additions, renovations involving more than 25% of existing roofing or siding, decks, pools and storage sheds of 100ft2 or more.
Permits are not required for day-to-day repairs and / or improvements including painting, window and door replacement using new material of the same dimensions and carpet installations.
Residential drawings can be done by the homeowner if the unit is a single family dwelling and the homeowner resides at the location of the proposed construction. The plans must be submitted in duplicate, accompanied by the appropriate technical applications, and are subject to the approval of the code official.
Commercial drawings must be completed by an NJ-licensed architect or engineer and submitted in duplicate with the appropriate technical applications. Commercial applicants are also required to submit final “as builts” in digital form on a CD.
Installation Procedure for Irrigation / Well Meters
Ewing residents have an option to install an irrigation (2nd) meter for measuring the water usage for maintaining the lawns, plants, swimming pool, etc. The residents who have a well on their property also have the option to install a meter for actual sewer usage.
The procedure should go as follows:
- Meters can be purchased at R.E. Carroll Inc. to be used by Trenton Water Works.
R.E. Carroll Inc. is located at 1570 North Olden Ave here in Ewing. The phone number is (609)695-6211. Please call prior to purchasing the meter.
The meter is calibrated to 1 = 100 cubic feet.
The cost of ¾” meter (residential), which includes remote, is approximately $200.00. All other size of meters may have different quote.
The residents should be prepared to show I.D. when purchasing these meters.
- The resident then must hire a plumber to install the meter at his or her own expense.
- The resident or plumbing contractor must contact the Construction Dept at (609)883-2900 x7676 for a permit to install the meter.
Upon completion of the installation, a final inspection is required and should be scheduled with the Construction Office.
- The resident must call Trenton Water Works Meter Shop at (609)989-3225 to make an appointment for them to verify the new meter and its location and to set up an account number for the reading of the meter.
Trenton Water Works will send the notification of the usage for the irrigation or the well after each quarterly reading. This notification will include the new account number.
- The resident must provide the new account number to Ewing Sewer Dept. for future sewer billing. The phone number is (609)883-2900 x7607.